This month the Diggers Rest Primary School will celebrate 135 years.
Although the current Plumpton Road site was officially opened in December 1991, the school was established on June 19, 1882 with the number 2479.
The school began in a portable building and the first head teacher was Mr. William Best.
Over the years the school has experienced a colourful past which has seen it temporarily closed between 1903 to 1906 due to declining attendance, destroyed by fire in March 1915 and severely damaged by a cyclone.
Despite these setbacks, many residents have fond memories of attending our local school which has now become an integral part of our growing community.
The birthday celebrations will include a welcome speech from the principal Mrs Hedger and followed by a number of guest speakers including members from the student Leadership team who will talk about why the school is special to them. Some former students will talk about what the school was like when they attended. A cake cutting ceremony, finishing with afternoon tea and memorabilia displays.
The event will be held in the School courtyard on June 16, 2017
from 2:00pm through to 3:00pm.